Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Princess and the Frog


I'm kind of excited to go see the new Disney movie coming out in December. It's called The Princess and the Frog and it's just like the fairytale...except different. In this movie, the Princess and the Frog Prince are not the cookie-cutter prince and princess. Disney is actually encouraging interracial relationships for the first time ever. Tiana, a beautiful, young girl from New Orleans is going to be the first black Disney Princess.

In the movie, Princess Tiana agrees to kiss the Frog after he convices her that it will turn him back into a prince. Instead, the Princess also turns into a frog and they embark on an adventure to become human again in the city of New Orleans.

I think it's different, it's fresh and I can't wait to check it out. It also resembles a traditional cartoon. It looks just like The Beauty and the Beast or The Little Mermaid. It might be refreshing to take a trip down memory lane with a few modern twists.



Check out the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8N-kIiELUA

5 comments:

  1. I saw the trailer for this movie in the theater and I will admit, it looks pretty good. I was encouraged to Disney harkening back to the days of animation and no CGI created movies. Disney should also be commended at the bold move to have an interacial courtship. If I could be cynical for a moment however. I find it intersing that the princess is a minority but the prince is still white. While the interracial relation is a step in the right direction, I still think it sort of suggests that the white male is neccessary to come in and save the day. I also may just be reading WAYYYYYYYY too much into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually, i think its the other way around. I think the princess saves the prince from the sounds of things. He gets cursed and becomes a toad and she tries to rescue him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to see that Disney has moved back to traditional animation instead of copying CGI (because now Pixar is apart of Disney, negating the need to do this). It may take longer to do, but sometimes, this extra time can add a whole new level to a film. I have big hopes for this film and I'm also glad to see that Disney is finally going to have an interracial relationship, a sep in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew there was going to be an African American princess, but I didn't know that there was an interracial relationship in the film as well. It is great to see that Disney is moving in the right direction and bringing more diversity to their films.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is nice and refreshing to see Disney with a black princess.. Kind of unbelievable how long it took them but better late then never. I am excited to see this movie and I really hope that Disney did a good job with it, as there will be many critical eyes watching.

    ReplyDelete