Wednesday, September 30, 2009


I think it's interesting how much ethnicity is tied into music. This is America and people are supposed to have freedoms but I think sometimes people are limited to what music they can and cannot listen to.

Historically, it has been only acceptable for black people to listen to rap music while white people are supposed to listen to rock, pop and country. It was awkward for white people to drive around and listen to rappers like DMX in the 90s.

Since then many things have changed. When Eminem first became famous, everyone was thinking "Who the hell is this white boy trying to rap?" Then people realized that he was really good and he paved the way for other white rappers to come along and for more white people to start listening to rap.

It's just interesting that although everyone has the freedom to listen to whatever they want to listen to, they still go along with the cultural norms and what they are expected to take interest in.

3 comments:

  1. I wouldn't say that everyone goes along with these 'cultural norms' but it does seem that a vast majority of individuals do so. At the same time, people probably do not FEEL that they are picking out a certain kind of music because of 'cultural norms.' Myself, I just happen to like rock music but don't care for rap... it has nothing to do with culture, just my taste. It would be an interesting study, actually, to see how many people actually pick their music based on culture and how many people have other reasons. Further, it might be interesting to see if there is an auditory/aesthetic reason behind the selection. So, maybe its not culture at all, you know, but something in our brains and the way that they are wired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a really good paper Liza! I like that you've addressed this issue in your blog Nicole, since music is such a big part of my life. I'm unsure its more about cultural norms than it is with your family upbringing- my mother is perhaps one of the biggest Beatles fans there is and so I listened to them all the time growing up. Now I listen to all sorts of music but I also still love the Beatles. Although, I would love to see studies done if it has to do with our brain wiring!! Either way, we pick music that we identify with, that expresses our emotions as well as listen to songs with catchy beats that makes us want to dance and have a good time (at least, I do).

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cultural norms are basically cliches perpetuated by popular culture(?) to make everybody feel comfortable. I don't know but I always thought those cliches were stupid.
    Eminem is not the first good white rapper, yes he gained wide acceptance but the Beastie Boys, and the House of Pain was rocking crowds for a minute.

    I contend that people listen to a wide variety of musical genres despite their ethnicity. Those stereotypes are just twisted for a comedic moment in a movie or commercial. I'm sure there's going to be another tired version of Bringing Down the House starring Queen Latifah, Steve Martin and Eugene Levy.

    ReplyDelete