Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I was on facebook today and came across a really insane quiz called "How black are you?" According to this quiz, your "race" is all dependent on the questions:

1. What's your favorite sport out of these?
2. What's your favorite food out of these?
3. Which gun would you rather have?
4. Which video game do you like better?
5. Where would you rather steal from?
6. What is closest to your mile time?
7. What is the color of your skin?

I don't know who made this quiz or what they were thinking but I definitely don't think it's cool to stereotype people like this. I'm sure it's just humor, but I just don't think it's right. I think people need to find better things to do in their free time.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, it's things like these that help perpetuate stereotypes. Even if it's just humor, humor can be hurtful. And how can these things gauge how 'black' someone is? It also creates a problem other than just stereotyping... it creates an identity problem. If I'm not good at basketball, does that make me less black? If I can't run a marathon in some rediculous time, am I less black? For a young person these things can become VERY important. I'm not even going to touch the gun and stealing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine however made this little quiz up did so in a carefree manner and did it just for fun and certainly not to defame black people. The problem is that even something as innocent as a Facebook quiz only goes to stoke the fires of stereotypes and prejudice. How can you determine how black someone is anyway, it's lunacy. I realize the quiz is done in jest but it is really unconstructive to what we as a country are tyring to progress to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! Even Facebook is descending into the depths of racism via quizzes. I realize that this was created for comical purposes, but one can only laugh so much.

    ReplyDelete