Friday, September 25, 2009

The N word

While watching Spike Lee's movie "Bamboozled," I noticed that the N word must have appeared hundreds of times. At one point, Pierre Delacroix daydreams about beating up his white boss beacause he keeps repeating the N word. Somehow he maintains his composure, being the better man.

This led me to thinking more about the N word. It's extremely offensive and brings back awful memories from the past. I just think the world would be better off without the word. It's too late now I guess, the word can never go away.

3 comments:

  1. There's a book with this title that I have eyed, but not picked up. Have you read it? Anyone else reading this read it? I'd be curious to know opinions...

    http://www.amazon.com/Word-Who-Can-Say-Shouldnt/dp/0547053495/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254055173&sr=1-6

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never read it before but I bet it would be really interesting. I'll have to read it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the word has really lost much of it's steam and impact. I'm not a black person but I'd have to imagine that if you said it to a black person now and in 1950, the 1950 recipient would be much more offended. I know that it is an awful word but it is just a word. If we can someone chip away at its impact we can strip it done and take its power away. I know people say that it is MORE than a word but I think we are moving towards a place in which it is JUST a word.

    ReplyDelete