Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Race and Raw

When I was a little girl, I had a million barbie dolls and always wore the color pink. I never watched a superbowl until I was 13 and became infatuated with Tom Brady. Somehow, over the last 20 years, I have become much more of a tomboy. I have become fascinated with all things sports-related and even male-dominated competitions. Not many people know this about me but I also love to watch pro-wrestling. Yes-I know it's fake and believe it or not, it's very entertaining. I began watching it as a joke but somehow I got stuck to it.

One thing that I have noticed about wrestling is the racial stereotyping that takes place. Lots of children watch WWE and I feel these children could be harmed by the racial stereotyping that exists. There is a tag team called "Cryme Tyme" that consists of two African-Americans named JTG and Shad. The name "Cryme Tyme" describes it all. Their image is portrayed as criminals who would do anything to get their hands on some money. They've also been known to steal championship belts. Each week, they have a segment called "Word Up" where they teach the audience about a slang word by defining it and giving examples. Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself....just in case you didn't already know the meaning of the phrase "Po Po" here it is...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4o_Dnzrdqc

No comments:

Post a Comment