Thursday, September 10, 2009

Today's blog is about judgment. Last night I was watching a preview for Sons of Anarchy, a show about the dangerous, criminal lifestyle of bikers. I think that shows like this one give all bikers a bad reputation. My boyfriend comes from a family of Harley-lovers. He has half-sleeve tattoos on his arms and rides a custom Harley sportster. So, he has tattoos and has a motorcycle- must mean he's a bad person right? He must be an alcoholic and he must have a warrant right? Wrong. He's actually one of the goofiest, warm-hearted people I have ever met. He's absolutely straight-edge and has never got so much as a speeding ticket. As nice a person as I know he is, my family still views him as the typical "biker guy." At a family cookout, he pulled up on hs bike and everyone stopped and stared like he was an animal in the zoo. Later on that day he got a text message. His phone made the typical beep that happens when anyone receives a text message. My aunt looks over and says, "Thought you'd have a more 'manly' ringtone than that..." I felt bad for him. I know they were just teasing but I also know that they're comparing him to the stereotypical "biker." My point is that not all bikers drink, fight, and raise hell like you see on T.V. They're just normal people like everyone else who just happen to ride motorcycles. There is a softer side to "bikers" that never gets portrayed on T.V.

3 comments:

  1. I think you bring up a very good point that I have seen on other people's blogs about stereotypes. You can just never know about a person by judging the way they dress, or what car they drive. However, your post also touches upon another topic. This in a way goes along with the debate about media perpetuating violence. If people would simply acknowledge the fact that shows like this are pure fiction than it would help to allievate problems like this. Taking that show at whole face value as a statement that this is the way it is among the biker world seems like a silly thing in my opinion. Shows like that are simply meant to entertain the people who like to watch violent shows/movies, and to make money for studios, t.v. stations, and networks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this show too and I thought the same thing. My neighbor is a biker and he fits the profile accept that he's the one of the nicest guys I have ever met.

    I don't think the show points out one thing that would change everybody's opinion. They talk about them being "1%'er's". This means that they are in the 1% of biker population that is unlawful. I think it's important to note that. They talk about it on the show but don't go into much detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. people try not to but cant help but to make judgements based on appereance

    ReplyDelete